Join us on September 29, 2018
Walk Date: 09/29/2018
Walk Location: Presque Isle State Pk - Rotary Pavilion - Erie, PA
Check-in/Registration Time: 09/29/2018 at 10:00 am
Walk Begins: 11:00 am
Walk Ends: 1:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Nicole Moore
Contact Phone: 814-449-7410
Contact Email: Mooren6@upmc.edu
Online registration closes at noon (local time) the Friday before the walk. However, anyone who would like to participate can register in person at the walk from the time check-in begins until the walk starts. Registration is free and open to the public. Walk donations are accepted until December 31st.
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Erie Walk
When you walk in the Out of the Darkness Walks, you join the effort with hundreds of thousands of people to raise awareness and funds that allow the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss. Thanks to Walkers and Donors like you, AFSP has been able to set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20% by 2025.
Click the Register Now button at the top of the page to get started right away.
ABOUT THE ERIE WALK..
Thank you for your interest in the annual Out of the Darkness Walk for the Erie, PA region in 2018! Over 300 walkers are expected to gather to bring together the community to raise our voices for suicide prevention. Read below for more information about the family-friendly walk and to get answers to frequently asked questions:
Although fundraising is optional and there is no minimum fundraising requirement (and no fee to walk), each dollar raised helps us deliver suicide prevention programs both in Western PA and nationally. With last year's Walk fundraising, our Western PA chapter was able to educate over 2,300 people in our 20-county region on suicide prevention, as well as send our largest delegation yet to Harrisburg to advocate for public policy changes, hold our annual Survivors of Suicide Loss conference in Erie, and contribute to over $4.6 million in scientific research grants awarded by AFSP on a national level.
There are 3 small things you can do to kick-start your fundraising work:
- Personalize your walker page online. Telling your story will make those who see your page feel more emotionally connected to you and the cause. If you're a team captain, be sure to personalize your team page!
- Donate to yourself, even if just a modest sum of $20, to show others you are committed to the cause. It's easier to ask others for money if they see you have also donated.
- Share your page and story with others. It's OK to ask for donations! And you may have to ask several times – that’s OK too!
You are also welcome to hold your own third-party fundraiser and use those funds raised toward your individual or team goal. Contact us for supporting your private fundraiser: firstname.lastname@example.org
This website is designed for online donations. On the day of the walk, you can also bring cash or checks (made out to “American Foundation for Suicide Prevention” or "AFSP"). And don’t miss our Walker Central website for some great tips and some great social media apps to help you promote your walk participation.
ERIE WALK FUNDRAISING INCENTIVES
Each individual who raise $150 (or more) before or on event day and receive an official Out of the Darkness Walk T-shirt! The t-shirt designs this year are brand new with our new logos too, so don't miss your chance to earn yours by registering right away and starting your fundraising early.
Remember, in addition to fundraising online, you will be able to turn in additional cash or check donations at the registration table the day of the Walk.
It's also a great idea to let your employer know you'll be walking and to let them know we have sponsorship opportunities. Starting at only $250, businesses can show their support to the suicide prevention mission by contributing a tax-deductible financial gift as a sponsor. At the $500 sponsor level, the business name/logo will be included on the back of all the official Erie walk t-shirts. All sponsors receive brand visibility and recognition of their support. For more details, please download and review the Erie walk sponsorship packet.
WALK LOCATION, ROUTE, AND EVENT INFORMATION...
About the Location: We hold the event at the Rotary Pavilion in scenic and serene Presque Isle State Park. Multiple parking lots are adjacent to the pavilion area.
What to Expect at the Walk: The walk will take place rain or shine. We encourage walkers to arrive when registration opens, so that you have ample time to check-in and then enjoy all of the pre-walk activities we have to offer. ALL WALKERS MUST CHECK IN AT THE EVENT, even if you are pre-registered.
- Pre-walk activities will include: wearable buttons; a temporary tattoo parlor; honor bead necklaces; all-ages crafts; music; the AFSP merchandise store; learning more about AFSP and our local chapter; community resource fair; dropping a cut flower into the "reflection" pond; our Out of the Darkness message door; and more.
- Water and light snacks will be available (while supplies last, since items are donated).
- Paws for Prevention: Friendly, leashed pets are permitted and we sell our special doggie bandanas for a very low cost!
- Team captains are encouraged to bring a sign to use as a marker to assemble your team. Any walker is invited to bring signs, photos, etc. to wear or carry while they walk.
- Walk opening ceremony will start at approximately 11:00 AM and will last about 15 minutes, then the walk leaves for the trail.
- The walk is not competitive. You are not required to complete the entire 5K. And you walk at your own pace.
- After you are done walking, you may go about your day. Our AFSP store will remain open for walkers as they complete the route.
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
Post to your Facebook page and add the Out of the Darkness Link, or direct link to your fundraising page.
If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #20x2025 to your tweets!
Remember your LinkedIn connections!
Share your photos!
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story about why you walk!
Thank you for your support! We look forward to seeing you at the walk!