Elk County Walk
Join us on September 16, 2018
Walk Date: 09/16/2018
Walk Location: Johnsonburg Community Center - Johnsonburg, PA
Check-in/Registration Time: 09/16/2018 at 1:00 pm
Walk Begins: 2:00 pm
Walk Ends: 4:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Alyse Martinez
Contact Phone: 814-594-7182
Contact Email: email@example.com
Online registration closes at noon (local time) the Friday before the walk. However, anyone who would like to participate can register in person at the walk from the time check-in begins until the walk starts. Registration is free and open to the public. Walk donations are accepted until December 31st.
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Elk County Walk
When you walk in the Out of the Darkness Walks, you join the effort with hundreds of thousands of people to raise awareness and funds that allow the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss. Thanks to Walkers and Donors like you, AFSP has been able to set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20% by 2025.
Click the Register Now button at the top of the page to get started right away.
About the Elk County Walk...
Thank you for your interest in the third annual Out of the Darkness Walk for Elk County and surrounding counties in 2018! Over 100 walkers are expected to gather to bring together the community to raise our voices for suicide prevention. Read below for more information about the family-friendly walk and to get answers to frequently asked questions:
Although fundraising is optional and there is no minimum fundraising requirement (and no fee to walk), each dollar raised helps us deliver suicide prevention programs both in Western PA and nationally. With last year's Walk fundraising, our Western PA chapter was able to educate over 2,300 people in our 20-county region on suicide prevention, as well as send our largest delegation yet to Harrisburg to advocate for public policy changes, hold several Survivors of Suicide Loss conferences in Western PA, and contribute to over $4.6 million in scientific research grants awarded by AFSP on a national level.
There are 3 small things you can do to kick-start your fundraising work:
- Personalize your walker page online. Telling your story will make those who see your page feel more emotionally connected to you and the cause. If you're a team captain, be sure to personalize your team page!
- Donate to yourself, even if just a modest sum of $20, to show others you are committed to the cause. It's easier to ask others for money if they see you have also donated.
- Share your page and story with others. It's OK to ask for donations! And you may have to ask several times – that’s OK too!
You are also welcome to hold your own third-party fundraiser and use those funds raised toward your individual or team goal. Contact us for supporting your private fundraiser: firstname.lastname@example.org
This website is designed for online donations. On the day of the walk, you can also bring cash or checks (made out to “American Foundation for Suicide Prevention” or "AFSP"). And don’t miss our Walker Central website for some great tips and some great social media apps to help you promote your walk participation.
Walk Fundraising Incentives
Each individual who raises $150 (or more) before or on event day will receive an official Out of the Darkness Walk T-shirt! The designs and logos are brand-new for 2018, so don't miss your chance to earn yours by registering right away and starting your fundraising early.
Anyone who raises $20 or more by walk day will get our HOPE 3"x3" camo sticker. Only given on walk day.
Other fundraising incentive prizes are also awarded after the walk. See those items here.
Sponsorships for the Elk County walk start at only $100, and some sponsor levels include your name on this website and on the walk t-shirts! Don't miss your chance to align your business with this important cause. Download our walk sponsorship packet here.
Walk Location, Route and Other Event Information:
About the Location: We hold the event at the Johnsonburg Community Center, and the walk route departs and returns back to the community center. It's approximately 5K with a water station at the half-way point.
What to Expect at the Walk: The walk will take place rain or shine. We encourage walkers to arrive when registration opens, so that you have ample time to check-in and then enjoy all of the pre-walk activities we have to offer. ALL WALKERS MUST CHECK IN AT THE EVENT, even if you are pre-registered.
- Pre-walk activities will include: wearable buttons; a temporary tattoo parlor; honor bead necklaces; a memory wall and wall for messages of hope; music; the AFSP information tent; community resource fair; and more.
- Water and pizza will be available.
- Paws for Prevention: Friendly, leashed pets are permitted and get a free doggie bandana!
- Team captains are encouraged to bring a sign to use as a marker to assemble your team. Any walker is invited to bring signs, photos, etc. to wear or carry while they walk.
- Walk opening ceremony will start at approximately 1:00 PM and will last about 15 minutes, then the walk leaves for the trail.
- The walk is not competitive. You are not required to complete the entire 5K. And you walk at your own pace.
- After you are done walking, you may go about your day.
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
Download, print and post our Elk County walk flyer.
Please help us promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
Post to your Facebook page and add the Out of the Darkness Link, or direct link to your fundraising page.
If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #20x2025 to your tweets!
Remember your LinkedIn connections!
Share your photos!
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story about why you walk!
Thank you for your support! We look forward to seeing you at the walk!