Walk Date: 10/06/2018
Walk Location: Riverfront Park - Lynchburg, VA
Check-in/Registration Time: 9:00 am
Walk Begins: 10:00 am
Walk Ends: 12:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Joan Rosin & Deanne Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org, 407-448-8301)
Contact Phone: 434-426-3751
Contact Email: JoanRosin12@gmail.com
Thank you for joining us for the 4th annual Lynchburg, VA Out of the Darkness Community Walk. This year’s walk will take place rain or shine, on Saturday, October 6th at Riverfront Park in downtown Lynchburg, VA.
Walk with us and support mental health! Your tax-deductible donation makes a difference! Your support makes research grants, legislative efforts, programs, and community outreach possible. Online registration closes at noon (local time) the Friday before the walk. However, anyone who would like to participate can register in person at the walk from the time check-in begins until the walk starts. Walk donations are accepted until December 31st.
Click the Register Now! button at the top of the page to get started right away!
When you walk in the Out of the Darkness Walks, you join the effort with hundreds of thousands of people to raise awareness and funds that allow the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss.
Thanks to Walkers and Donors like you, AFSP has been able to set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20% by 2025.
Click the Register Now button at the top of the page to get started right away.
1. There is NO registration fee to participate in the Lynchburg Out of the Darkness walk.
2. EVERYONE is welcome to walk – any participants thirteen years and older are required to register for the walk and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Each participant is asked to set a minimum fundraising goal of $150. However, donations of any amount are accepted and no one will be turned away.
4. Participants that raise $150 or more by the day of the walk will receive an Out of the Darkness t-shirt at check-in.
5. The walk route is approximately 3 miles. The walk path is paved, it is handicap accessible and strollers are welcome. Walkers are welcome to turn around at any point in the walk if they feel they have gone as far as they comfortably can. Participants are also encouraged to come to the event and stay if they are unable to walk.
6. Dogs are allowed at this walk; we welcome your four legged friends!
7. Registration begins at 9:00 am. We hope you will arrive early, so we can get everyone through registration before the 10:00 am opening ceremony.
8. The walk will begin about 10:30 am. Most walkers should be able to complete the walk route within 1 hour.
9. We will have a photographer on hand to take group pictures, before and after the walk. We encourage participants to wear customized t-shirts for you, and/or your team. Feel free to be creative and bring signs.
10. Restrooms are available nearby the walk site.
11. There will be complimentary water and snacks available for the walkers.
12. Visit Walker Central for downloads and more information (must be registered and logged in to view)
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
Please contact us if you are willing to post 2018 Lynchburg Out of the Darkness Community Walk flyers and yard signs. Downtown areas, local businesses, schools and high traffic events all make the perfect place to post flyers and yard signs in your neighborhood. Encourage everyone you know to REGISTER, DONATE and JOIN the movement to save lives. The team that fundraises the most online by September 30th, 2018 will carry the AFSP banner and lead the walk route!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story about why you walk!
Raise $150 by 10/06/2018 and receive an official Out of the Darkness Walk T-shirt!
Remember, in addition to fundraising online, you will be able to turn in additional cash or check donations at the registration table the day of the Walk. All registered walkers are also eligible for these great recognition gifts for fundraising milestones throughout the season.
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. This event is a journey of remembrance and a walk that unites a community - a time to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and our loved ones. We all wear honor beads (available for free at the event) - each color shows our personal connection to the cause and helps us identify others who understand our experience.
Friendly, leashed dogs are welcome at the event. Your four-legged friend can register for free at the Paws for Prevention Tent. AFSP Doggie Bandanas will be on sale for $10.00, in small and large sizes for your dog to wear. This year, volunteers from Petco will be working our Paws for Prevention tent and handing out free treats to your pooches!
During our closing ceremony we will take a few moments to honor the loved ones we have lost to suicide by having their names read. Please e-mail us the name of your loved one if you would like their name read during this tribute time. If you have any concerns about the pronunciation of the name, please include pronunciation instructions.
Make sure to arrive early to allow time to explore the Lynchburg Out of the Darkness Walk Resource Fair. Information tables hosted by local businesses and non-profit organizations will open at 9:00 am. This is your opportunity to gather literature, hear about upcoming events, and connect with others who are dedicated to making a difference in the community.
Would your organization like to be one of the featured exhibitors in the Lynchburg Out of the Darkness Walk Community Resource Fair? Contact us to reserve your spot. Space is limited and will fill up quickly so register today!
Becoming a sponsor of the Lynchburg Out of the Darkness Walk is a great way to show your commitment to the community and support the fight to stop suicide. Click here to download a sponsorship packet. With sponsorship opportunities starting at only $250, this is a perfect opportunity for large and small businesses to play a role in making suicide prevention a priority in our community. All sponsors will receive numerous marketing benefits, including a premium spot in the Community Resource Fair!
Volunteer with us and help make this year’s walk a success! Our event is planned and put on by volunteers just like YOU. We would love to have your help on the day of the walk and could use your skills and passion to make this event even better. Volunteers assist with everything from set-up and breakdown to food and beverage stations and much more! Contact us if you are interested in volunteering or if you have any questions!