Walk Date: 09/29/2018
Walk Location: Rockville Town Square - Rockville, MD
Check-in/Registration Time: 9:30 am
Walk Begins: 11:00 am
Walk Ends: 1:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Alnicia Gibson
Contact Phone: 301-852-1022
Contact Email: email@example.com
Online registration closes at noon (local time) the Friday before the walk. However, anyone who would like to participate can register in person at the walk from the time check-in begins until the walk starts. Registration is free and open to the public. Walk donations are accepted until December 31st.
When you walk in the Out of the Darkness Walks, you join the effort with hundreds of thousands of people to raise awareness and funds that allow the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss.
Thanks to Walkers and Donors like you, AFSP has been able to set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20% by 2025.
Click the Register Now button at the top of the page to get started right away.
Thank you for your interest in the Montgomery County Out of the Darkness Community Walk! Together, as a community, we raise our voices for suicide prevention and mental health. His is a family and dog-friendly event.
Although fundraising is optional and there is no minimum fundraising requirement (and no fee to walk), each dollar raised helps us deliver suicide prevention programs both in Maryland and nationally. With last year's Walk fundraising, our Maryland Chapter was able to educate over 2,000 Marylanders on suicide prevention. We educated middle/high school students, their parents and educators. We talked to active duty military members and veterans. Spoke at churches, community centers, libraries, and senior homes. We hosted our second annual State Capitol Day in Annapolis and talked to legislators about how suicide effects Maryland and how we can start reducing the annual suicide rate by 20 percent by 2025. We organized 10 Survivor Day events, including one for Gold Star Families, and hosted a “Facili
Facilitating a Bereavement Support Group for Teens and Children” training. Your donation also contributed to over $4.6 million in scientific research grants awarded by AFSP on a national level.
There are 3 small things you can do to kick-start your fundraising work:
• Personalize your walker page online. Telling your story will make those who see your page feel more emotionally connected to you and the cause. If you're a team captain, be sure to personalize your team page!
• Donate to yourself, even if just a modest sum of $20, to show others you are committed to the cause. It's easier to ask others for money if they see you have also donated.
• Share your page and story with others. It's OK to ask for donations! And you may have to ask several times – that’s OK too!
You are also welcome to hold your own third-party fundraiser and use those funds raised toward your individual or team goal. Contact us for supporting your private fundraiser: firstname.lastname@example.org. We can also help promote your event to other walkers and supporters.
This website is designed for online donations. On the day of the walk, you can also bring cash or checks (made out to “American Foundation for Suicide Prevention” or "AFSP"). And don’t miss our Walker Central website for some great tips and some great social media apps to help you promote your walk participation.
It's also a great idea to let your employer know you'll be walking and to let them know we have sponsorship opportunities. Starting at only $250, businesses can show their support to the suicide prevention mission by contributing a tax-deductible financial gift as a sponsor. At the $2,500 sponsor level, the business name/logo will be included on the back of 3 additional Maryland walk t-shirts. All sponsors receive brand visibility and recognition of their support. For more details, please download and review our sponsorship packet.
About the Location: Rockville Town Square
What to Expect at the Walk: The walk will take place rain or shine. We encourage walkers to arrive at 9.30 AM when registration opens, so that you have ample time to check-in and then enjoy all of the pre-walk activities we have to offer.
• Pre-walk activities will include: wearable buttons; honor bead necklaces; all-ages crafts in our Kids Zone; music; the AFSP merchandise store; learning more about AFSP and our local chapter; community resource fair; and more.
• Water and Snacks will be available at the town square. You are permitted to bring your own water bottle container to refill.
• Team captains are encouraged to bring a sign to use as a marker to assemble your team on the field. Any walker is invited to bring signs, photos, etc. to wear or carry while they walk.
• Walk opening ceremony will start at approximately 11:00 AM and will last about 20 minutes and then the walk leaves the town square into surrounding neighborhoods
• The walk is not competitive. You are not required to complete the entire 2.5 miles. And you walk at your own pace.
• After you are done walking, we will close the event with a brief closing ceremony.
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story about why you walk!
Raise $150 by 09/29/2018 and receive an official Out of the Darkness Walk T-shirt!
Remember, in addition to fundraising online, you will be able to turn in additional cash or check donations at the registration table the day of the Walk.
Interested in being a corporate sponsor for our walk? There are many benefits AND you'll contribute positively to your community.
Contact our walk chair for sponsorship information at: email@example.com