Walk Date: 09/07/2019
Walk Location: Mingus Park - Coos Bay, OR
Check-in/Registration Time: 9:00 am
Walk Begins: 10:00 am
Walk Route: Click Here to view the Route for the walk!
Walk Ends: 12:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Lance Nelson
Contact Phone: 541-756-6232
Contact Email: email@example.com
Online registration closes at noon (local time) the Friday before the walk. However, anyone who would like to participate can register in person at the walk from the time check-in begins until the walk starts. Registration is free and open to the public. Walk donations are accepted until December 31st.
When you walk in the Out of the Darkness Walks, you join the effort with hundreds of thousands of people to raise awareness and funds that allow the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy, and support survivors of suicide loss.
Thanks to Walkers and Donors like you, AFSP has been able to set a goal to reduce the annual suicide rate 20% by 2025.
Click the Register Now button at the top of the page to get started right away.
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story about why you walk!
Raise $150 by 09/07/2019 and receive an official Out of the Darkness Walk T-shirt!
Remember, in addition to fundraising online, you will be able to turn in additional cash or check donations at the registration table the day of the Walk.
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection.
There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above.
The Out of the Darkness Community Walk is a journey of remembrance, hope, support, and a walk that unites a campus and community – a time to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and our loved ones.
1. How long is the walk? The walk is approximately 2 miles long with shorter distances available as well. Click Here to view the route.
2. Do I have to pay or raise money to attend? No. The walk is free! Fundraising is encouraged.
3. Can I participate and raise funds even if I can't attend? Yes! Register as a "virtual walker."
4. Will there be any local resources at the event? Yes! Several community agencies and event sponsors will be present at the event with services and resources available.
5. Can I bring my dog? Yes. Please keep your pets on a leash and be prepared to clean up after them. For a $5 donation at the event, we can outfit your dog with a AFSP bandana!
6. Where does the money raised end up going? Money raised is distributed through the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and goes towards research and intervention. Their goal is to reduce the suicide rate by 20% by 2025. Also, money will stay local to assist in resources and training for the "pseudo-therapists" in our community, such as hairdressers, bartenders, taxi drivers, high school students, etc.
7. Can I participate if I'm not on a team? Of course! But it's more fun to form a team and walk together for this great cause.