Brookfield NY Experience
Join us on October 3, 2020
Register Now Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Brookfield NY Experience
While the Brookfield NY Out of the Darkness Walk is going to look different this year, our mission to Save Lives and Bring Hope to Those Affected by Suicide has not changed. We are a strong and resilient community, united in our effort to fight suicide, raise awareness, educate our communities, support those who have lost loved ones, and support those with lived experience. We use our voices and share our stories to provide hope.
We want to keep you up-to-date so be sure to sign up and check back for any last minute updates before Saturday!
We are always #TogetherToFightSuicide
Location: Brookfield Town Park
Time: 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
Due to CDC Guidelines limiting events to 50 people or less, we are having a staggered event. Please join us at the park during one of the 2 time slots below according to your last name. IF YOU ARE ON A TEAM, PLEASE GO BY YOUR TEAM CAPTAIN'S LAST NAME.
A - L 10:30-11:30
M - Z 11:30-12:30
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Ruth A. Darrow
Contact Phone: 315-825-8654
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
Are we walking this year?
Our community has always been the heart of the Out of the Darkness Walks. Your safety and well-being will always be our top priority. While most events are virtual this year, we are grateful to be able to have an in-person event in Brookfield. That being said, we are asking that everyone wear a mask and be mindful of social distancing.
Here's what to expect on event day:
- There will be some amazing raffle items so bring cash to purchase tickets! We will provide pens to fill out tickets with your name and number and you need not be present to win
- We will have packaged grab-n-go snacks and water bottles
- We will have a brief Opening Ceremony for each group, one at 11:00 and the other at 12:00 followed by a well spread out walk for each group along the designated route
- Volunteers will wear masks (gloves as needed) and hand sanitizer will be provided
- There will be opportunities to find out more about AFSP, how you can volunteer or receive training, and ways to honor loved ones lost
On October 17, we invite all of our registered participants to connect and share our collective journey of hope and healing by joining us for a Chapter wide Day of Hope and Remembrance. There will be events online all week leading up to the 17th so stay tuned for more details!
Please Help Spread the Word
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
Follow us on Instagram! Share and tag your photos with #outofthedarkness! Spread the word and ask for support by sharing the videos and social shares in the participant hub.
How do I raise funds?
Ask. We recognize that these are challenging times but there are many people who are willing and able to support your efforts to Be The Voice for suicide prevention. After all, suicide prevention is everyone's business and we all feel good when we contribute to the greater good of others. Here are some simple tips to help you raise $200:
- Put in your own $20 contribution
- Ask your significant other for $20
- Ask your mom, dad, aunt, uncle, or other family member for $20
- Ask a friend for $20
- Ask your supervisor for $20 (and let them know we'd love to do a free Talk Saves Lives program for staff!)
- Ask 4 co-workers to give you $5 each
- Ask 2 neighbors for $10 each
- Ask a local business owner you support for $20
- Ask neighbors if they'll donate their cans and bottles (400=$20)
- Ask just one more friend or family member for $20
Need more ideas? Be sure to visit the Fundraising Tips and Tools tab under "Make an Impact"
Raise $150 by 10/03/2020 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
Custom Firepit Raffle
Please contact Ruth Darrow at email@example.com for ticket information!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Submit your photo for the 10/17 Chapter Wide online event sharing why you walk here.
Click here to reserve a beautiful luminaria to light up the night on October 17th
Sign our Banner of HOPE on 10/3 at Brookfield Town Park
Pick up your Honor Beads on 10/3 at Brookfield Town Park
What are Honor Beads? Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
Save the date! November 21, 2020 International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day
We are always #TogetherToFightSuicide.
The Out of the Darkness Walk is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.
Thank you for your support!