Danville - South Central Experience
Join us on November 7, 2020
Register Now Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Danville - South Central Experience
Location: Details Below
Time: 10:00 am - 10:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Lorrie Eanes-Brooks
Contact Phone: 434-334-9626
Contact Email: LorrieEanesBrooks@yahoo.com
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
Why do you walk? Share your reason on our Virginia "Why I Walk" Wall!
WAIT … ARE WE STILL WALKING TO FIGHT SUICIDE?
YES! The Danville - South Central Out of the Darkness Experience is a real walk, but on your terms: you get to choose your location, what time you start, and who walks next to you (within safe distancing guidelines)! The walking is real—it's the community that's virtual this year.
We realize that nothing can substitute the experience of everyone coming together in person, and we will continue to seek ways in which we can do that safely. We welcome your ideas for gathering online and in-person this fall. Please contact the AFSP Virginia Chapter at email@example.com for more information. In the meantime, we look forward to connecting in new ways, and we invite you to join us on this journey.
- By registering for the Danville - South Central Out of the Darkness Experience, you join a strong community united in an effort to fight suicide while showing up for yourself, recognizing and honoring those you love, raising awareness, educating communities, supporting one another, and sharing hope.
- All participants can create and join teams. This is a great way to motivate family, friends, and co-workers to join you!
- Registered walkers will be emailed updates and invites to in person and e-vents in the upcoming months, as well as given the opportunity to participate for incentive prizes
- Individuals who raise $150 or more by November 7th will receive our exclusive 2020 Out of the Darkness t-shirt!
- You can connect with our new virtual community by joining our Participant Facebook Group! You'll meet other participants from across our community.
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Question that isn't answered? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule of Activities
Stay tuned for detailed information on upcoming activities. We look forward to sharing many ways you can participate, both online and in person. We are excited to share the following ways to participate with you. Watch your email and social media for details on these and more experiences as our plans continue to develop.
Ongoing - Hope in the Mailbox
Brighten someone's day by sending them a free postcard. Each year, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention's Out of the Darkness Walks bring communities across the country together to fight suicide and deliver hope to all who may be struggling with a mental health condition or loss of a loved one. While there may be some limitations on how we can gather in person this year, we can still send hope and let people know that they are not alone. Complete the form below and we’ll drop a postcard in the mail to bring a smile to someone's face by letting them know they’re on your mind. Get started at afsp.org/hopeinthemailbox.
Dates and Locations TBD:
- Banner will be available at various locations to collect signatures prior to event day
- Pop-Ups will be held to distribute event info and materials
- Details Coming Soon
Saturday, November 7th:
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM Team Captain Pickup at Two Witches Brewery (Outside - Banner Available to Sign at Pickup)
- 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM Online Opening Ceremony
- 11:00 AM Event Day Begins at Self-Chosen Locations (we will not have access to Ballou Park)
- Teams Tailgate at self chosen locations in their own neighborhoods
- Participants walk at their leisure throughout the day
- Replay of Online Resource Fair (time TBD)
- Fun Hours (theme hours for fun activities and photos)
- Drone Footage of Team Sites
- Online Memorial Activity
- 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM Online Closing Ceremony Featuring Event Highlights
Stay tuned for detailed information on additional upcoming activities. We look forward to sharing many ways you can participate this Fall, both online and in person. We are excited to bring our community opportunities to connect and celebrate our shared mission.
We are currently seeking sponsors for our 2020 Out of the Darkness Experience. If you or your employer would like more information on sponsorship opportunities, please contact Lorrie Eanes-Brooks at 434-334-9626 or email@example.com.
VIEW OUR 2020 SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness #TogetherToFightSuicide
Follow us on Twitter! If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #outofthedarkness to your tweets!
Follow us on Instagram! Share and tag your photos with #outofthedarkness! Spread the word and ask for support by sharing the videos and social shares in the participant hub.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story!
Raise $150 by 11/07/2020 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
2020 EXCLUSIVE: Teams who raise $1,000 prior to our print deadline of September 30th will have their team names appear on the back of our official 2020 T-shirt!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.
Thank you for your support!