Wilmington DE Experience
Join us on October 17, 2020
Welcome to the
Out of the Darkness Wilmington DE Experience
While the Wilmington Out of the Darkness Walk is going to look different this year, our mission to Save Lives and Bring Hope to Those Affected by Suicide has not changed. We are a strong and resilient community, united in our effort to fight suicide, raise awareness, educate our communities, support those who have lost loved ones, and support those with lived experience. We invite you to join us for the Delaware Out of the Darkness Experiences. Instead of gathering for a big event, we encourage you to walk to fight suicide on October 17 and 18 with friends and family (following CDC guidelines) in your neighborhood, in parks, or on your treadmill. Wear AFSP or Out of the Darkness T-shirts and make signs in honor of a loved one or to spread hope in your community. If walking is not your thing, do whatever you enjoy – it is YOUR experience. Our Walk Chair Committee is currently working on a virtual Opening Ceremony that everyone will be able to join on their own time on the weekend of October 17. We want to keep you up-to-date with the most current information so be sure to register and like our Facebook Event!
An hour of motivating music and stories from key volunteers!
What you need to know about the Delaware Out of the Darkness Experience this weekend, October 17 and 18:
- If you are not registered for the Out of the Darkness Experience yet, please take two minutes to sign up at afsp.org/wilmingtonde or afsp.org/dover
- We will not gather as a big group; instead we ask you to walk to fight suicide with friends and family in your community. Wear an AFSP or old Out of the Darkness shirt and make signs to raise awareness about suicide prevention in your neighborhood.
- If you can't participate this weekend, walk whenever you and your family/friends are available.
- You have until October 18 at midnight to raise $150 to receive an official Out of the Darkness t-shirt. Shirts will ship before the end of the year at the latest.
- We are not mailing beads to you.
- Donations are being accepted until December 31. You can submit them online or mail checks and money orders (no cash) to AFSP Delaware, PO BOX 169, Annapolis, MD 21404.
- On October 17th we will email you a podcast with encouraging music and stories from our volunteers. We will also post the link on the walk pages listed above and on social media. We will share a video including the honor bead ceremony on the October 17th. Again, this will be emailed to your and will live on the websites.
- Our mission to saves lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide has not changed. As a matter of fact, our programs and resources are now more important than ever. Thank you for your continued support as we are always #TogetherToFightSuicide.
- For questions, please email Area Director Kat Olbrich at email@example.com or call at 202-770-8973.
We are always #TogetherToFightSuicide.
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Kat Olbrich
Contact Phone: 202-770-8973
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is free and open to the public. Walk donations are accepted until December 31st.
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself, page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account, or page 8 if you’re signing up in person on the day of the event. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
Our community has always been the heart of the Out of the Darkness Walks. Your safety and well-being will always be our top priority, and we are closely monitoring CDC and local guidelines as we map out our options for bringing you an experience of hope and healing this fall.
Though there are many unknowns, there are a few things we know for sure:
- You belong to a strong community united in an effort to fight suicide while showing up for yourself, recognizing and honoring those you love, raising awareness, educating communities, supporting one another, and sharing hope.
- We remain dedicated to providing you with opportunities to connect, heal, share stories, create impact, and show you that you are not alone.
- Mental Health and suicide prevention are more important than ever, and we’re confident that with your help we can reach more people than ever before.
We realize that nothing can substitute the experience of coming together in person, and we will continue to seek ways in which we can do that safely, if possible. In the meantime, we look forward to connecting in new ways, and we invite you to join us on this journey.
Wait ... are we still walking to fight suicide?
YES! The Wilmington and Delaware Out the Darkness Experiences are focused on your self-care and creating your own experience. You get to choose the activity, it can be walking, running, reading or cooking - it is your experience . During October 17 and 18 you choose what time you start, what you do and who joins you (within safe distancing guidelines)!
If you do go for a walk in your community, make sure to wear and AFSP or Out of the Darkness shirt and bring a sign in honor of a loved one or to spread hope in your community. Take a picture and share it on social media using #DETogetherToFightSuicide and tagging @afspdelaware (Facebook) or @afspde (Twitter and Instagram).
Although fundraising is optional and there is no minimum fundraising requirement (and no fee to walk), each dollar raised helps us deliver suicide prevention programs both in Delaware and nationally, advocate for mental health and suicide prevention, fund critical research, and support suicide loss survivors.
There are 3 small things you can do to kick-start your fundraising work:
- Personalize your walker page online. Telling your story will make those who see your page feel more emotionally connected to you and the cause. If you're a team captain, be sure to personalize your team page!
- Donate to yourself, even just a modest sum of $20, to show others you are committed to the cause. It's easier to ask others for money if they see you have also donated.
- Share your page and story with others. It's OK to ask for donations! And you may have to ask several times – that’s OK too!
You can also hold your own third-party fundraiser (i.e. paint night, restaurant fundraiser, bake sale etc.) and use those funds raised toward your individual or team goal. Contact us if you need some guidance for your private fundraiser: email@example.com. We can also help promote your event to other walkers and supporters.
This website is designed for online donations. You can mail checks and money orders to AFSP Delaware, PO Box 169, Annapolis, MD 21404. When you mail checks and money orders, please make sure that checks are made out to “American Foundation for Suicide Prevention” or "AFSP" and to include an offline donation form, so funds can be applied correctly. Once registered, be on the lookout for occasional emails from our walk chairs with walk updates, fundraising tips and educational workshop opportunities.
If you are a business that would like to support your community by helping save lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide, please consider sponsoring the Delaware Out of the Darkness Experience. We know that many businesses are struggling because of the pandemic, so any support for this year’s walk would mean a lot to us. Please make sure to also check out our toolkit for workplaces on how to enhance mental health during uncertain times. Know that we have resources to support you and your staff and that we would be more than happy to schedule a virtual or in-person (once possible) mental health and suicide prevention workshop with your team. To schedule a training, contact Area Director Kat Olbrich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are an employee, let your employer know that you will be participating in the Delaware Out of the Darkness Experience and encourage them to form a corporate team. Share with them our sponsorship package and let them know that we are offering free suicide prevention trainings for workplaces. To schedule a training, contact Area Director Kat Olbrich at email@example.com.
Sponsorship levels start at only $250 and your support is 100% tax-deductible. For more details, please download and review our sponsorship packet.
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
Follow us on Twitter! If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #outofthedarkness to your tweets!
Follow us on
! Share and tag your photos with #outofthedarkness! Spread the word and ask for support by sharing the videos and social shares in
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story about why you walk!
Raise $150 by October 18 at midnight and receive an official Out of the Darkness Walk T-shirt! Shirts will be mailed to you before the end of the year.
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Walk is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.
Thank you for your support!