Richmond VA Experience
Join us on October 3, 2020Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Richmond VA Experience
Location: See Schedule of Activities Below
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Stephanie Cole
Contact Phone: 804-387-7143
Contact Email: email@example.com
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
We will not be gathering in person this year for the day of the walk due to COVID-19 restrictions. We encourage all participants to walk in the location of their choice and share photos, videos, and other highlights with us throughout the day so we can feature them on social media.
Please see below for information on our virtual opening ceremony and upcoming events.
To view our recent online benefit concert, click here.
To view our "Juggle the Struggle" performance by Jonathan Austin, click here.
To add your reason to walk to Virginia's "Why I Walk" Wall, click here or click on the wall below.
Why do you walk? Add your reason to our Virginia "Why I Walk" Wall!
WAIT … ARE WE STILL WALKING TO FIGHT SUICIDE?
YES! The Richmond Out of the Darkness Experience is a real walk, but on your terms: you get to choose your own course, what time you start, and who walks next to you (within safe distancing guidelines)! The walking is real—it's the community that's virtual this year.
We realize that nothing can substitute the experience of coming together in person, and we will continue to seek ways in which we can do that safely. We welcome your ideas for gathering online and in-person this fall. Please contact the AFSP Virginia Chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. In the meantime, we look forward to connecting in new ways, and we invite you to join us on this journey.
- By registering for the Richmond Out of the Darkness Experience, you join a strong community united in an effort to fight suicide while showing up for yourself, recognizing and honoring those you love, raising awareness, educating communities, supporting one another, and sharing hope.
- All participants can create and join teams. This is a great way to motivate family, friends, and co-workers to join you!
- Registered walkers will be emailed updates and invites to e-vents in the upcoming months, as well as given the opportunity to participate for incentive prizes
- Individuals who raise $150 or more by October 3rd will receive our exclusive 2020 Out of the Darkness t-shirt!
- You can connect with our new virtual community by joining our Participant Facebook Group! You'll meet other participants from across RVA.
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Question that isn't answered? Reach out to us at email@example.com.
Latest News & Updates
- Sedona Taphouse - Midlothian is pleased to announce that the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is the selected charity for its Dine In for Charity program on Monday’s for lunch & dinner in September. Note that this is for dine-in OR takeout! Enjoy grilled chicken, flatiron steak or salmon entrees and you will be supporting AFSP – just be sure to tell your server that you are ordering the Dine In for Charity meals supporting AFSP.
- For all registrants, If you raise $50 via a Facebook fundraiser thru your DonorDrive account (not directly thru Facebook) by September 30th and email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and the subject line “Mask Challenge” you will receive the mask! For those of you who have already registered and raised $50 through a Facebook Fundraiser set up through your DonorDrive participant account, you will automatically qualify.
- The Richmond Out of the Darkness Experience will culminate on October 3rd - join us at 9am on Facebook for the bead ceremony and great programming to inspire your walk. It's going to be an event like never before!
Schedule of Activities
Ongoing - Hope in the Mailbox
Ongoing September 1st - 30th - Facebook for a Face Mask Challenge
Saturday, October 3rd
The Richmond Out of the Darkness Experience will culminate on October 3rd - join us at 9am on Facebook for the bead ceremony and great programming to inspire your walk. It's going to be an event like never before!
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness #TogetherToFightSuicide
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page. We also invite you to join our Richmond Participant Facebook Group to stay up to receive our newest information and updates.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story!
Raise $150 by 10/03/2020 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
EXCLUSIVE FOR 2020: Teams who raise $1,000 prior to our print deadline of August 21st will have their team name appear on the back of our official event T-shirt!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.