Greater Lehigh Valley Experience
Join us on October 4, 2020Register Now Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Greater Lehigh Valley Experience
While the Greater Lehigh Valley Out of the Darkness Walk is going to look different this year, our mission to Save Lives and Bring Hope to Those Affected by Suicide has not changed. We are a strong and resilient community, united in our effort to fight suicide, raise awareness, educate our communities, support those who have lost loved ones, and support those with lived experience. We use our voices and share our stories to provide hope.
We invite you to join us this Fall for an Out of the Darkness Experience. We’re working hard to plan meaningful opportunities to connect and inspire you, and we will share more details about our exciting plans in the coming weeks.
We want to keep you up-to-date with the most current information so be sure to sign up and join us here!
We are always #TogetherToFightSuicide
Ceremony Start Time: 12:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Cari Cieszynski
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (**Email is preferred**)
Contact Phone: 814-357-5829
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
Wait...Are We Still Walking to Fight Suicide?
YES! The Greater Lehigh Valley Out of the Darkness Experience is a real walk, but on your terms: you get to choose your own course, what time you start, and who walks next to you (within safe distancing guidelines)! The walking is real - it's the community that is virtual this year.
Experience Schedule of Events
The Greater Lehigh Valley Out of the Darkness Experience will include opportunities to engage with other participants on a smaller scale online through different activations and healing activities. It is a new experience for us all, but we are working hard to plan meaningful opportunities to connect and inspire you leading up to October 4th and beyond!
We will keep updating these events as we add them!
- August 18th - Out of the Darkness Experience Kickoff - at 7:00 PM EST
- Register at https://easternpakickoff.attendease.com/
- Register at https://easternpakickoff.attendease.com/
- August 29th -Team Captain Curbside Packet Pickup from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- First Presbyterian Church of Bethlehem, 2344 Center St, Bethlehem, PA 18107
- Pull up to get a team captain bag placed in your car - contactless pickup! (please wear a mask and observe all social distancing as required)
- Bag will include wristbands, buttons, flyers, yard signs and more!
- Must be registered for the Experience to get a packet
- September 10th - World Suicide Prevention Night
- Please light your Luminary we provide at the Team Packet Pick up at 8:00 pm
- Take a picture and email it to afsplv@gmail
- We will include your luminary in our Honor Bead Ceremony on Oct 2 – Facebook Live
- October 2nd - Online Honor Bead Ceremony - at 7:00 pm
- Will be broadcast on AFSP Eastern PA Chapter Facebook Page
- We will showcase photos of Luminary bags from September 10th
- October 3rd - Team Packet Pickup - from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Pickup t-shirts, wristbands, and survivor beads to have for event weekend on October 4th
- Becky’s Drive In - 4548 Lehigh Dr, Walnutport, PA 18088
- Parking Lot – Easy in and easy out – Non-Contact Hand Off of packet (please wear a mask and observe all social distancing as required)
- October 4th - Out of the Darkness Experience Online Ceremony - Starting at 12:00 PM
- AFSP Door Decorating
- Download the door decoration kit free at https://bit.ly/AFSPEPA_DoorDecorations
- Post a photo on your social account and tag @afspeasternpa and use #afspeasternpa in your post!
- Email email@example.com with a photo of your creations. We will feature these photos on our Chapter pages and enter you to win AFSP swag prizes!
- Hope in the Mailbox
- Send hope and let someone know they're not alone
- Visit afsp.org/hopeinthemailbox to send your free postcards
- Out of the Darkness Wellness Challenge - August 3rd to September 13th
- Take action for suicide prevention by tracking your daily activities using the Kilter Rewards app
- Visit afsp.org/wellnesschallenge for more details and to sign up!
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story!
Raise $150 by 10/04/2020 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
Any team that raises $ by will get their name on the back of the t-shirt!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.