Metro West Experience
Join us on October 18, 2020Donate
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Metro West Experience
While the Metro West Out of the Darkness Walk is going to look different this year, our mission to Save Lives and Bring Hope to Those Affected by Suicide has not changed. We are a strong and resilient community, united in our effort to fight suicide, raise awareness, educate our communities, support those who have lost loved ones, and support those with lived experience. We use our voices and share our stories to provide hope.
Location: United Way of Tri County (46 Park Street, Framingham MA)
Time: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Paula Fleming
Contact Phone: 508-308-7163
Contact Email: email@example.com
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
WAIT … ARE WE STILL WALKING TO FIGHT SUICIDE?
YES! While the MetroWest Out of the Darkness Walk is going to look different this year, our mission to Save Lives and Bring Hope to Those Affected by Suicide has not changed. We will still use our voices and share our stories to provide HOPE. We’ve "reinvented" our MetroWest Out of the Darkness Walk into the Out of the Darkness Experience. We need to abide by state and town guidelines, and most communities will not allow a large gathering of people in one site. At AFSP, our primary concern is to ensure the safety of our participants, volunteers and staff.
What can you expect? The MetroWest Experience is a real walk, but on your terms: you get to choose your own course, what time you start, and who walks next to you! The walking is real—it's the community that's virtual this year. You can walk in small groups around your neighborhood, take and share pictures on this page and share your experience with us. Plus, we’re working events and plans over the next few months to bring our participants together so you can feel connected with fellow survivors and those with lived experience who all care deeply about suicide prevention. We will do all we can to make YOUR MetroWest Experience a special and memorable one this year.
AND, we’re planning a very special online Statewide Event on November 1st to bring everyone together for a Grand Statewide Experience and Celebration. Exciting, right?! More to come soon.
Our community has always been the heart of the Out of the Darkness Walks. Though there are many unknowns, there are a few things we know for sure:
- You belong to a strong community united in an effort to fight suicide while showing up for yourself, recognizing and honoring those you love, raising awareness, educating communities, supporting one another, and sharing hope.
- We remain dedicated to providing you with opportunities to connect, heal, share stories, create impact, and show you that you are not alone.
- While our 2020 events may look a little different than what we’ve come to expect, our mission to save lives and bring hope to those affected by suicide has not changed. Mental health and suicide prevention are more important than ever, and we’re confident that with your help we can reach more people than ever before.
We realize that nothing can substitute the experience of coming together in person, and we will continue to seek ways in which we can do that safely this Fall, if possible. We welcome your ideas for gathering online and we look forward to connecting in new ways, and we invite you to join us on this journey.
- All participants can create and join teams. This is a great way to motivate family, friends, and co-workers to join you!
- Registered walkers will be emailed updates and invites to e-vents in the upcoming months, as well as given the opportunity to participate for incentive prizes
- Individuals who raise $150 or more, will receive our exclusive 2020 Out of the Darkness t-shirt!
HAVING TROUBLE REGISTERING?
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself, page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account, or page 8 if you’re signing up in person on the day of the event. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
When you register online, you will have access to AFSP’s Walker Central. Walker Central is your hub for making the most out of your Out of the Darkness Experience. You will find:
- News and Updates
- How to create a Facebook fundraiser that links directly to your account
- Why I Walk Flyer
- Custom Social Share Graphics
- Achievement Badges
- Fundraising Tips and Tools
- Team Captain Resources and Team Captain Toolkit
- And much more!
Help Spread the Word!
We encourage you to tell your story about why you support #MATOGETHER and #MAOUTOFTHEDARKNESS.
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the Massachusetts Out of the Darkness Experience Page ( www.afsp.org/MassChapter) or the direct link to your fundraising page.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story!
Raise $150 by 10/18/2020 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt! Packet pick-up details at United Way Tri-County will be shared with participants soon.
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.