Parsons' Virtual Out of the Darkness Event
Join us on May 1, 2021Register Now Donate
Welcome to the Parsons Mental Health Month Virtual Event and Fundraiser!
May is Mental Health Month. Did you know that suicide is the 10th-leading cause of death across the US population but is second among college-aged students and that suicide rates have increased across K-12 and college aged students? What about that the military suicide rate is 50 percent higher than the national average? According to the World Health Organization nearly 800,000 people die by suicide in the world each year, which is roughly one death every 40 seconds. But these statistics are preventable.
Here at Parsons we value mental wellness in our workforce and believe that education and normalizing mental health conversations can support that wellness, allowing each of us to bring our best selves to work as we deliver a better world. During the month of May, we’ll be bringing you opportunities to learn, connect, and contribute through a series of posts in our Safety, Health, and Environment and Inclusion and Diversity Workplace groups. In addition, throughout the month, we’ll be fundraising for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), an organization dedicated to saving lives and bringing hope to those affected by suicide.
As individuals and as a company, we give back because we aim to have a lasting positive effect on the communities in which we live and work, impacting military/veteran programs, growing education/STEM outreach, and leaving behind vibrant communities. In fact, Parsons will contribute one dollar for every dollar you donate or raise for Team Parsons, up to $10,000. Thanks in advance for your participation and engagement throughout May.
There are a variety of a ways to participate in Mental Health Month, and each of these activities contributes to the overall health and wellbeing of our workforce and increases HOPE:
Help: Volunteer in your community and log your minutes using Hannah.
Open Up: Share your story or reach out to others for theirs. People often feel alone on their mental health journeys.
Prioritize Self-Care: Meditate, take brain breaks, reach out for support, or talk to a therapist.
Exercise: Cycle, run, do yoga, or hike—anything to move your body.
Additionally, we have created a custom swag store with co-branded, sustainable merchandise to commemorate the partnership between Parsons and AFSP. The store will be online for the month of May and a portion of proceeds from sales will benefit AFSP. Learn more and shop the store here.
How to Participate:
- Register by clicking the button below
- Once you click register, you'll see the option to join as an individual, create a team, or join a team within our overall Team Parsons.
- You will then have access to your own personal fundraising page, which you can customize and share with family, friends, and colleagues, with the hopes of getting donations. If suicide has touched your life somehow, we encourage you to share your story.
- Your custom fundraising page will have a built-in activity tracker, Active Impact™, where you can log your minutes so that you and your supporters can keep track of your progress and milestones. Learn how to use Active Impact™.
- Everyone who donates or raises $100 or more will be eligible to earn a t-shirt, and there are higher incentive tiers as well.
- Share your progress on the SH&E workplace site throughout the month.
The challenge will run from Monday, May 3rd through Monday, May 31st.
Registration is free and there is no requirement to donate or fundraise in order to participate.
If you have any questions about Parsons Mental Health Month, please contact Tammy Anander, CSP, SH&E Data and Systems Manager at email@example.com.