Paws for Prevention - NYC Chapter
Join us on June 1, 2021Register Now Donate
Welcome to the 1st Annual
New York City Paws for Prevention
Join us for the NYC Paws for Prevention! Instead of gathering as a big group we encourage you to walk your four legged friends anywhere and anytime during the month of June. Participate as an individual or team. Choose any neighborhood walk route between June 1st to 30th. Everyone who raises $30 by June 30th will receive an AFSP pooch bandana and everyone who raises $100 or more will receive a Paws for Prevention shirt in the mail.
Throughout the month of June we will encourage you to be proactive about your physical and mental health, fundraise, and be the voice for suicide prevention wherever you walk, with or without your furry friend. We have some great challenges and prizes in store, so stay tuned for more soon!
PAWS FOR PREVENTION SHIRT
Everyone who raises $100 or more by June 30th, 2021 at midnight will receive a Paws for Prevention shirt in the mail. Shirts will be mailed to each participant that qualifies by the end of July 2021.
Although fundraising is optional and there is no minimum fundraising requirement (and no fee to walk), each dollar raised helps us deliver suicide prevention programs both in New York City and nationally. With last year's fundraising, and despite COVID-19, the AFSP NYC Chapter was able to educate over 2,000 New Yorkers on suicide prevention. Your donations also contributed to over $5.3 million in scientific research grants awarded by AFSP to support studies that will increase our understanding of suicide or test treatments and other interventions that save lives. As a Chapter we continue to offer Healing Conversations, a peer to peer program for loss survivors.
There are 3 small things you can do to kick-start your fundraising work:
- Personalize your walker page online. Telling your story will make those who see your page feel more emotionally connected to you and the cause. If you're a team captain, be sure to personalize your team page!
- Donate to yourself, even just a modest sum of $10, to show others you are committed to the cause. It's easier to ask others for money if they see you have also donated.
- Share your page and story with others. It's OK to ask for donations! And you may have to ask several times – that’s OK too!
Step 1: Register for this event and upload a photo of your pet below for a chance to win paw-tastic prizes!
- Any pet can be submitted. It does not have to be a dog.
- Only one picture entry per participants. You can be in the picture, but we should see your pet clearly.
- Make sure when submitting your picture that your name is displayed on top of or in the post.
- Need help submitting a picture, email email@example.com.
Step 2: Share your fundraising page with family and friends and ask for their support by registering, walking with you, and making a donation.
Every $1 donated to your fundraising page equals 1 vote for your pet!
The pet with the most votes (most $ raised) by June 30th at midnight will become the NYC Chapter Mascot for one year (July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022)
- Your pet will be featured on the 2022 NYC Paws for Prevention Marketing Material and social media posts.
RESOURCES FOR THOSE WHO LOVE AND WORK WITH ANIMALS
Our Chapter now offers TALK SAVES LIVES WORKPLACE, which is a great 45 minute introduction to bring to your office, veterinary clinic etc. Learn about the science behind suicide, risk factors and warnings signs, as well as how to reach out and ask for help or support someone in crisis. Thanks to the generous donations, the AFSP NYC Chapter can offer this presentation at no cost to anyone interested. Schedule your presentation today by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMUNITY SUPPORT AND SPONSORSHIPS
For $500, businesses can show their support to the suicide prevention mission by contributing a tax-deductible financial gift as a sponsor. We also accept in-kind donations and goodies that we can use for challenges or raffle. You have until June 30th, 2021 to have your logo added to the official New York City Paws for Prevention Walk T-shirt that will be mailed to everyone who raises $100 or more by July 31st at midnight. For more details, please contact Area Director Amy Monahan at email@example.com