Greater Northeast PA Experience
Join us on September 13, 2020
Welcome to the Out of the Darkness Greater Northeast PA Experience
While the Greater Northeast PA Out of the Darkness Walk is going to look different this year, our mission to Save Lives and Bring Hope to Those Affected by Suicide has not changed. We are a strong and resilient community, united in our effort to fight suicide, raise awareness, educate our communities, support those who have lost loved ones, and support those with lived experience. We use our voices and share our stories to provide hope.
We invite you to join us this Fall for an Out of the Darkness Experience. We’re working hard to plan meaningful opportunities to connect and inspire you, and we will share more details about our exciting plans in the coming weeks.
We want to keep you up-to-date with the most current information so be sure to sign up and join us here!
We are always #TogetherToFightSuicide
Time: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
For more information, please contact:
Contact Name: Maggie Ciebllo & Sarah Hoch (570-262-4325)
Contact Phone: 570-417-8569
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is free and open to the public. Donations are accepted until December 31st.
Having trouble registering? Click here to view a step-by-step guide. Refer to page 1 if you’re registering yourself or page 5 if you’re registering someone else through your own account. Be sure to also check out some of the Frequently Asked Questions on page 10.
If you’ve already registered and would like to either create a new team or join an existing one, log into your AFSP account and click on the “change team membership” option on the right hand side of your dashboard tab (on mobile you’ll need to click “dashboard” first).
Our community has always been the heart of the Out of the Darkness Walks. Your safety and well-being will always be our top priority, and we are closely monitoring CDC and local guidelines as we map out our options for bringing you an experience of hope and healing this fall.
Though there are many unknowns, there are a few things we know for sure:
- You belong to a strong community united in an effort to fight suicide while showing up for yourself, recognizing and honoring those you love, raising awareness, educating communities, supporting one another, and sharing hope.
- We remain dedicated to providing you with opportunities to connect, heal, share stories, create impact, and show you that you are not alone.
- Mental Health and suicide prevention are more important than ever, and we’re confident that with your help we can reach more people than ever before.
We realize that nothing can substitute the experience of coming together in person, and we will continue to seek ways in which we can do that safely, if possible. We welcome your ideas for gathering online and/or in-person this fall. Please contact your local chapter for more information. In the meantime, we look forward to connecting in new ways, and we invite you to join us on this journey.
Wait...Are We Still Walking to Fight Suicide?
YES! The Greater Northeast PA Out of the Darkness Experience is a real walk, but on your terms: you get to choose your own course, what time you start, and who walks next to you (within safe distancing guidelines)! The walking is real - it's the community that is virtual this year.
Experience Schedule of Events
The Greater Northeast PA Out of the Darkness Experience will include opportunities to engage with other participants on a smaller scale online through different activations and healing activities. It is a new experience for us all, but we are working hard to plan meaningful opportunities to connect and inspire you leading up to September 13th and beyond!
We will keep updating these events as we add them!
- Out of the Darkness Experience Kickoff - August 18th at 7:00 PM EST
- Register at https://easternpakickoff.attendease.com/
- Anyone who attends will be entered to win some AFSP swag!
- Must be registered to attend, and a zoom link will be emailed out the day before the event
- Team Captain Curbside Packet Pickup - August 22nd from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Children's Service Center Parking Lot - 335 S. Franklin St, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
- Pull up to get a team captain bag placed in your car - contactless pickup!
- Bag will include wristbands, buttons, flyers and more!
- Must be registered for the Experience to get a packet
- AFSP Door Decorating
- Email email@example.com with a photo of your creations! We will feature these photos on our Chapter pages and enter you to win AFSP swag prizes!
- Post a photo on your social media account and tag @afspeasternpa and use #afspeasternpa in your post!
- Download the door decoration kit free at https://bit.ly/AFSPEPA_DoorDecorations
- Wish Lantern Fundraiser
- Purchase wish lantern to release into the night sky on September 13th in memory of your loved one
- Each lantern is $5
- Can be purchased at the Team Captain packet pickup on August 22nd as well
- Purchase at https://nepawishlanterns.attendease.com/
- Hope in the Mailbox
- Out of the Darkness Wellness Challenge - August 3rd to September 13th
- Take action for suicide prevention by tracking your daily activities using the Kilter Rewards app
- Visit afsp.org/wellnesschallenge for more details and to sign up!
- T-shirt and Bead Pickup - September 9th from 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Wyoming Valley Mall Parking Lot - across from Grotto pizza
- Pick up your event t-shirt (if you raised $150) and beads to have on "walk day" as we celebrate together, but separate in our own locations
Help Spread the Word!
Please help promote the event through your social media outlets! #OutoftheDarkness
Follow us on Facebook! Post to your Facebook page and add the direct link to your fundraising page.
Follow us on Twitter! If you are on Twitter, Tweet about the event. Don’t forget to add #outofthedarkness to your tweets!
Follow us on Instagram! Share and tag your photos with #outofthedarkness! Spread the word and ask for support by sharing the videos and social shares in the participant hub.
There are many more social media outlets, please use any and all to help promote the event. Tell your story!
Raise $150 by 09/13/2020 and receive an official Out of the Darkness T-shirt!
Activities of Hope and Healing
Losing someone to suicide or struggling with a mental illness can feel like no one understands what you are going through. Unlike other illnesses, it is difficult to look at someone and know their connection. There is an honor bead for everyone, whether you have lost a loved one, struggle personally, support a friend and/or family member, or all of the above. Learn more by watching our honor bead video.
The Out of the Darkness Experience is a journey of remembrance, hope, and support. It unites our communities and provides an opportunity to acknowledge the ways in which suicide and mental illness have affected our lives and the lives of those we love and care about.
If you're looking for resources, please visit www.afsp.org/resources.
Thank you for your support!